- Vis Medicatrix Naturae – “The Healing Power of Nature” – The belief that the body has an innate ability to heal itself. The naturopathic doctor provides therapies that support this process.
- Docere – “Doctor as teacher” – Educating the patient is an important part of the treatment plan.
- Primum non nocere – “First, do no harm” – The principle to first do no harm is fundamental to the naturopathic practice.
- Tolle causam – “Treat the cause” – To treat the causes of the disease, rather than the symptoms.
- Tolle totem – “Treat the whole” – We are dynamic beings that have complex interactions within ourselves and without. because of this nature, the entire person is taken into consideration when diagnosing and treating, including all aspects of the body, mind and spirit.
- Praevenire – “Prevention” – The belief that prevention is the best medicine for good health
Upon completion of the graduation requirements, a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree (N.D.) is awarded. Graduates sit for professional state board exams to become licensed as general practice naturopathic doctors within licensed states or as individual jurisdictions allow.